External Hard Drive for Time Machine - Firewire or USB?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tnsmart, Aug 23, 2009.

1. tnsmart macrumors 6502

I did a little bit of searching but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

I'm trying to decide between these two drives:
    http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Desktop...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251042742&sr=1-2
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-FireWire-External-Poulton-301315U/dp/B00170M64K/ref=pd_cp_e_2

I'm wondering if the speed difference with Firewire 400 over USB 2.0 is worth the extra $30. I'll primarily be using this for Time Machine backup, but also to store other large files when necessary. Any recommendations? Thanks.

2. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

If you're mainly planning on using it with Time Machine, I'd say USB would be sufficient. Firewire if you'll be accessing loads of files from it.

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

firewire is nice in that you can copy or and from another usb drive without taking the speed hit between two usb drives. so with my first mac I needed another external so I could move my files to it and reformat the old one I bought remember it is also a sata drive and if and when you can use that it will be even fastener.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I just bought a 320GB WD portable external that can be powered via usb or FW800 for $85 on overstock. The speed is great and noticeable when compared to using the USB.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I've never been a fan of external USB drives. When I got my TM external, I went with a Seagate drive with FW on it. I also use the disk for lots of other storage too though.

6. jbrettz macrumors member

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Real Mac purists do not engage such a question. :D

FireWire, FTW.

8. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

It's worth it the first time you need to restore from your backup or generally do anything that's not just happening silently in the background.

FireWire is $30 faster. :cool:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The difference between FW400 and USB 2.0 isn't that great. I prefer FW800 for external drives. Much faster!

10. tnsmart thread starter macrumors 6502

This compares USB to FireWire 800. The drive, and my MacBook, only have 400.

I did go ahead and get the one with just USB.

Wouldn't you consider Apple to be a Mac purist company? There the ones who dropped Firewire from the 13" MacBook (before they put it back in with the 13" MBP.)

11. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

This is very true. As a few have mentioned, once you do your first back-up (which takes forever) TM over USB will be fine.

If you do want to transfer files, read/write, etc - then go FW800. I have a TC for my TM back-ups and it runs in the background and I don't have to worry about it.