External Hard Drive Formatting for Movies

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snowwing, Jan 29, 2011.

1. snowwing macrumors member

snowwing

I have a Western Digital 1TB bus powered external hard drive to store digital content on... movies, music, video clips. I also plan on using it with a Western Digital Live TV Plus.

My confusion comes with which format to use. I am obviously using a Mac now. I have some movies on my old Windows machine - formatted NTFS.

Is it possible to put these movies (MP4) on my new drive if it is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

Thanks
    Ron

2. simsaladimbamba

According to the manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705043.pdf), it can support FAT32, NTFS and HFS+.

3. Andeavor macrumors 6502

If the external drive is formatted with HFS+ you need a program like MacDrive to read it with a Windows machine.

4. snowwing thread starter macrumors member

snowwing

Thanks for your quick response!

My question was more on the lines of transferring a file from a NTFS formatted drive to a Mac OS extended drive. In other words if I copy a file to a flash drive from my windows machine and copy to my mac does it matter what the underlying format is? NTFS or Mac OSX?
    Thanks

5. simsaladimbamba

As you might have glanced at the FAQ I quoted about the different file systems, you can only write to NTFS and FAT32 formatted volumes in Windows without additional help. Mac OS X is capable to read volumes using these file systems (formats).
    Therefore, if you use a USB stick formatted with FAT32 you can then copy data from Windows to Mac OS X.

6. samh macrumors 6502

No, the underlying file format of the original file does not matter. The operating system doing the copying will do the required translating.

7. snowwing thread starter macrumors member

snowwing