external hard drive has data, not able to transfer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjoseph, Jan 21, 2013.

1. fjoseph macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have an external 2TB hard drive for a few years that has only ever been used with a mac for imovie and photo backup. Ironically it has my time machine backup as well.

Two days ago, my computer did not recognize this hard drive (but did recognize two other externals) when I booted up. After much trial and error, I took the hard drive out of its casing and connected it to a new casing. I did a repair disk (disk utility) and got a message that drive is OK.

Now, I am able to see the hard drive and I see all of its contents. Problem is, in an effort to back up all of this very important information, I can't get most of the larger files (over 1 GB) OFF the hard drive. I get an error message "cant' copy, file is use" or "file is busy". Sometimes it copies some of the file and then I get the message, and sometimes I get the message right away.

I tried doing a restore, thru disk utility. I wanted to copy the old drive completely to a new drive, but again got an error message that the source was busy.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Thank you!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you did the repair with Disk Util, did it show a bunch of errors? Try running repair again and see if the errors are back. It sounds like the drive may be failing.

3. fjoseph thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi.

thanks for replying. I did do the disk repair (twice) again with no errors.

Any advice how to get the data off the drive before I cant access it altogether?

Thanks again!

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If it important, you can buy something like DiskWarrior. I am assuming here it is in Mac OS Extended (HFS+) format.

5. fjoseph thread starter macrumors newbie

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

If you are using finder to do the copying, you might try switching to using terminal commands such as cp or rsync.

7. fjoseph thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not familiar with that. Could you please explain?

Thanks very much!