External hard drive help please

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sigooner, May 15, 2013.

1. sigooner macrumors member

Hi guys

I'm looking for an external hard drive, firstly to back up my laptops pics etc,and secondly to maybe watch films on my TV. Is this possible???

Iv been looking around and think I will get a portable one, maybe 1TB?

How how this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008PABFX8?qid=1368560704&sr=1-167

Any ideas?

I just hoping I can watch films etc

Thanks for any help

2. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Hello Sigooner - I have several 1 TB Seagate external USB 3.0 HDs - plenty of options are available; size and portability may make an impact on your choice, and you certainly can 'backup' (BU) your computer files - I'm using them for Time Machine BUs on my new MBP & iMac.

NOW, not clear about your statement on wanting to watch films? Are you planning to download and/or rip films to the external HD? Copying video to a HD is certainly an option, but using an optical drive or streaming video would be other choices - let us know your thoughts! :)

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'd just get a 2.5" HDD and an external HDD case and just pop it in.

4. sigooner thread starter macrumors member

Hi,thanks for your reply.

Yes iv been looking around but can't make a decision as to which one to buy. I'm looking for a portable one to backup files as well as watch films

I have been told you can download films/tv series somehow and have them on the external hard drive and connect that to a tv and watch? Is that correct?

Not really sure which to go for as I'm completely new to this!!!

5. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Hi again Sigooner - your might want to provide information on the computer you are using and whether you have an optical drive in the device or an external one? May help to better define your needs.

Also, I would suggest that you see 'backup' as one issue & watching films as another - might be easier for you to understand; you likely will want to use Time Machine for your backup needs and using a 'dedicated' drive is often the best choice.

Now regarding watching movies, TV shows, or other videos, there are just numerous sources; yes, you can DL (download) and/or rip video material to a HD, but you can also use your computer attached to a TV or via Air Play wirelessly; Wi-Fi streaming is yet another option (I use it often via a Roku device). Before buying HDs or other devices, you might want to read a little about these video choices? Just for starters: 1) Check what iTunes has to offer; 2) Look up Apple's Air Play technology; 3) Review the features of Apple TV; and 4) Go to the Roku website - these hopefully will help you to better understand your many options. Good luck and please post back w/ further questions - Dave :)