External Hard Drive Help ..sorry

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Godmachine, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Godmachine macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,i,m new here,and am trying to navigate my way around a forum,i hope this is the right place though to post this.
    7 days ago i bought a Toshiba 1.5 terabyte external hard drive, the box says "vista compatible and now with McAfee anti virus enabled" but i figured no matter i,m sure i can just erase and reformat,the guys at the iStore told me that as long as i,m not transporting it around it should be fine but the Toshiba,s can be tempremental if being moved around all the time but seeing as though i knew it was gonna be used purely to store media files i wouldn,t be moving it around so i got it,reformatted it and it worked perfectly for 5 days when suddenly the icon on my screen disappeared,so i figured maybe its just a restart needed and tried again but still nothing! i tried absolutely everything,Disk utility wouldn,t even pick it up and i thought i,d lost it all so took it back to the iStore and they plugged it into 3 different macs which all picked it up perfectly,long story short i had to go home and bring my whole mac in for them to look at,then,when they plugged it in to the same 3 macs again only one picked it not all 3 which left them all stumped! There recommendation was i try change the actual casing but come on,its 5 days old!! so off to my friends house,his mac picked it up fine,we backed up all the media files over night and he reformatted it again,i was quite hopeful last night but once again,NOTHING,so i yanked the usb cable out the port and that warning pop up appears "YOU HAVE NOT EJECTED THE DEVICE PROPERLY BLA BLA BLA" so now i,m like what there,s hope! back in again and i get this message" THIS DEVICE IS UNREADABLE bla bla bla" and has 3 options, Initialize,Continue and Ignore,so i clicked initialize and open disk utility where its showing buy ghosted out kinda,verify disk grayed out,repair disk grayed out...WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!??!?!?!!? please help me,thankyou in advance

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

that's what i'd call a drive with an attitude!
    did you ask for a new one at the store?

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Sounds like the enclosure is borked - and yes, I'd try to get a replacement or refund.

If you post again, please use full stops and carriage returns. Your post was very difficult to read, and I almost gave up.

4. Godmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry english is not my 1st language.
    what do you mean it is borked?
    i will go in a few hours to them and tell them,i have the payment slip so they best not give me grief.

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

No problem. Which country are you in? If you're in Europe you should be able to return it without any arguments.

Sounds like it's dead.

Even if you somehow got it to work, I don't think I would want to trust 1.5TB of data to an unreliable drive!

6. Godmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

well they said they,d have to test it first before deciding what to do.
    now its up to the hands of fate i guess.
    i have a feeling they,re gonna not replace it in which case i,m screwed.

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Seriously, where in the world are you?

Read up on your consumer rights. In some parts of the world you can force them to replace it.

8. Godmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

i,m from south africa,we have just had the consumer act put in place
    and reading up on it now i see if i am not happy with a product within a month of use i can return it with no questions asked!

9. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Bingo! :)