external hard drive help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by krn, Mar 7, 2011.

1. krn macrumors newbie

i am a new mac user and i need help on my new macbook pro. I am trying to write to my WD harddrive (ntfs)....so i downloaded ntfs-3g and installed it. After the installing and rebooting, i keep on gettting an error stating that

:NTFS-3G could not mount because the following problem occurred: /Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/fusefs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) link error: check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8). the MacFUSE file system is not available (71)

I reinstalled ntfs-3g a couple of times and i get the same message. I also trying to do a chkdsk of the external drive under windows and still get the same thing when i try to mount it in snow leopard.

Please help! thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe it's a 64-bit issue. Are you booted in 64-bit mode?

3. krn thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i am...does ntfs not work in 64 bit mode?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are issues with NTFS-3G and 64-bit. Boot in the 32-bit kernel and you'll be fine.

5. krn thread starter macrumors newbie

are there any other programs that will allow me to do this instead of me booting in 32 bit?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Tuxera NTFS for Mac is supposed to work in 64-bit mode. Be aware that some have reported problems when using Tuxera, even in 32-bit mode, but I don't know if such problems relate to 64-bit, as well. Use MRoogle to search the forum for threads related to Tuxera.