External hard drive help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gjm87, Apr 28, 2014.

1. gjm87 macrumors member

My USB connector on my old external hard drive. I need a new enclosure and have no clue which one to get. Attached are pictures of the hard drive pulled out of the enclosure. Any help would be great!

Attached Files:

2. gjm87 thread starter macrumors member

Here is the label

Attached Files:

3. mojolicious, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014

mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

It's a lowish capacity IDE/ATA/PATA relic and isn't really worth pursuing unless you're trying to retrieve data from it, in which case your options are...

a) buy the cheapest USB2 / 3.5" ATA enclosure you can find – like this.

b) buy a naked adaptor kit – like this.

Advantage of the enclosure is that it allows you to continue to use the drive, albeit at USB2 speed. Advantages of the adaptor kit are that 1) it's a useful weapon to have in your arsenal, 2) it impresses the laydeez. If you want to go down this route then I'd strongly recommend getting a USB3 device.

If this is *not* a data retrieval job then throw the disk away and buy a modern 2.5" bus-powered USB3 SATA drive. A decent 500GB can be had for <$40; a 1TB for another $20.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

In the States you can find good prices on external drives from WD or Seagate at Costco or Sams. Frys, MicroCenter, and the Apple stores will also have them....just maybe at as good a price.

I think these days you can get a 3TB drive for around $100 and maybe 4TB for around $125.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

There's no reason to throw that drive away, ignore what others are saying.

If you want to find an enclosure to put it into, you need a 3.5" enclosure for PARALLEL ATA drives (NOT serial-ATA, or SATA, drives).

They can still be found "for cheap".

If you don't need an enclosure, but still would like to access the drive, you can find P-ATA adapters, like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152

320gb is plenty of storage capacity for a "secondary backup drive" that contains essential files...