External Hard Drive Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crunchyapple, Jun 28, 2007.

1. crunchyapple macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 15" MBP. I got (as a gift) a hard drive that was formatted in NTFS and I was reading some website about how to format it into HFS+ since I couldn't do anything with the hard drive with my Mac.

Anyway, I launched disk utility and clicked Partition, but I guess I shouldn't have since the hard drive was ejected and now when I plug it into my USB ports it says "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" with three options: initialize, ignore, eject. When I plug it into a PC it doesn't load or show up at all.

I don't have any data on the drive so I'll do anything to fix it! Losing data isn't a problem for me since the drive was empty to start with.

Does anyone have any ideas??

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Will Disk Utility read it if you plug it in again? Click the 'Initialize' button when it comes up. I think that launches Disk Utility. Rather than Partition, just do an erase and pick the format you want. That should create a Mac-usable hard drive. If you want multiple partitions, do that next. Should work fine then.

3. crunchyapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, that was a lot easier than I thought it would be!

Thanks!

4. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

Isn't that one of the reasons you got a Mac?

5. james6000 macrumors member

james6000

Currently I have a NTFS formatted drive and moved all the data in order to format it. Which volume format should I use, there's so many options!! (Journaled, Case-sensitive etc)

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Generally, for Mac only use, just go with the standard: Mac OSX Extended (Journaled).
    If you need it be able to be used by Windows as well then choose MS-DOS (=FAT32) although it's a bit of an old dog as formats go, or get a copy of MacDrive which allows Windows to read/write to Mac formatted volumes