External hard drive help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Joe Mack, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Joe Mack macrumors newbie

I bought a seagate External hard drive when I was still a PC guy. Now when I try to write to it from my mac it gives me an error and wont let me write to it. I can read from it and all, just cant write to it. I'd like to use it as a scratch disk for video editing. Any ideas on what to do? I think I need to reformat it but have no clue how to do this.......I should have kept that darn install disc it came with.

2. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Use Disk Utility on the Mac. Make sure you temporarily move everything off the hard drive first, then format it as HFS Journaled and the mac will be able to read and write to it - but PCs won't be able to see it at all. FAT32 is the only format both operating systems can read and write. I know there's a program you can install on the Mac to let you write to NTFS, but I don't recall what it is at the moment. Maybe someone else will chime in with that answer in case you'd like to go that route.

3. Joe Mack thread starter macrumors newbie

I really dont need to use it on my PC anymore. Is there another format besides FAT32?

4. McGiord, Mar 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Use Disk Utility and you can format it in:
    FAT32
    NTFS
    MacOSX Extended Journaled
    MacOSX Extended Journaled case sensitive

If you are going to use it only in the Mac environment, go with the last one.
    ________
    A7

5. bsimmons macrumors newbie

seagate 500gb-desktop-good choice of an external hd IMO.

i dropped it, well my dog jumped on the couch and the usb cord was lying on the spot where he was, and BOOM! it falls from the window pane. Unbeknownst to me, i didn't know that happened. Start her up, and she runs like new.

fyi for ya seagate people out there.
    -b