external hard drive help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by krogers34, Jul 25, 2008.

1. krogers34 macrumors member

i finally made the decision to switch to mac and am getting a macbook. i had a compaq before and a 250gb external hdd. if i just plug it into the mac, should i have any problems or will all the stuff get wiped clean, all it is is music and movies, but its a lot of stuff, thanks for the help.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

As long as the drive is formatted in FAT32 everything will be fine. If it is NTFS, the external drive will be read-only unless reformatted or you find a utility to allow full access to the NTFS drives.

TEG

3. krogers34 thread starter macrumors member

i know when i bought it it said it could be used on mac and pc, so should it be fine?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You should be fine. Nothing related to data happens automatically.

TEG

5. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Just a +1 post. It should work just fine. Mac's dont just delete things when you plug them in:D

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Some other info.
    If it is in NTFS and you want to be able to read and write install MacFuse then install the NTFS 3G driver.

If you want to copy the files to your Mac then format the drive.
    After copying files open disk utility and choose the partition tab after selecting the hard drive to completely change the partition scheme to Mac OS X Extended Journaled.

7. krogers34 thread starter macrumors member

ok so i did that and now when i plug it in it pops up an error that says NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1s1 at Volumes/FreeAgent Drive because the following problem occured $logfile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0) Failed to mount ' dev/disk1s1': Operation not supported
    Mount is denied because NFTS is marked to be in use

it gives some options and i did one and it did nothing, do you know what i could do?

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you hibernate Windows XP it will do this or if the last time Windows was shut down it was not done so properly through the shutdown command; you will get not be able to mount the HD in Mac OS X. It will behave like this until you boot into Windows and shutdown properly. This is a fail safe for NTFS 3G so that it does not allow changes to a possibly damaged Windows installation, conceivably worsening it.