External Hard Drive Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jplg842, Aug 3, 2009.

1. jplg842 macrumors regular

Hello guys.
    I'm looking to get an External Hard Drive for my macbook, since my 80GB disk in deadfully full..

Im looking to get a portable WD My Passport Essential (250 GB) comes with only USB 2.0.. selling for 100$
    or a Buffalo DriveStation Combo HD-CEIU2 (500 GB) comes with Firewire and USB ports. selling for 150$ Though this is not portable!

Please help :)

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Though others might argue with me I recommend this drive. It offers USB it is 7200rpm with 32mb's of cash and 1TB of storage. I have owned my 320gb Lacie drive for 4 years now and have not had a single problem thats more then I can say about my WD drive. I know Lacie does not make the HDD's inside the enclosures but they still have left me a very happy user. I also own this drive ( the Firewire version ) and have had it now for a couple of months without a problem.

3. jplg842 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your reply :)
    i dont think i can get my hands on that one.. and it requires external power which doesnt do me good :(

4. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Just buy a hard drive and external enclosure and voila, portable data. Newegg has all you need. Just stay away from the really cheap enclosures... they're pretty bad.

5. Thedesolateone macrumors newbie

I'm in the UK, so prices are obviously different, but for the price you're paying for 250gb, you can get 1tb drives, so I'd say you were wasting your money if you're paying that much for that little space.

Personally, I've got a Hitachi NESO 320gb drive which is ridiculously small (physically) and runs off the power of my mac, an old 250gb external which has its own power source and a WD 1tb drive combined with the 160gb drive on my MBP (split between Mac and Windows). I am always looking for more space.

One other option is a Megaupload lifetime account. You pay 199 dollars for a lifetime of unlimited storage (and unlimited daily downloads, at their ridiculous top speed, of any MU files). Of course, you do have to upload your files, but they will stay their forever, and while you do have to download them, they come down at insane speeds, really whatever your internet can handle.