External Hard Drive - How to safely erase data for selling?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MattyMac, Mar 1, 2008.

1. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Like many of you, I would like to purchase a time capsule and would love to unload my 250gb Lacie External Hard drive on ebay. My question is... is there a safe way to delete the data on the drive. I've always been nervous about selling computers because of all of the information that can be left on them even after deleting everything. If I sell my external hard drive, how do I safely erase the data? Do I simply throw the files in the trash and delete them? I'm sure there must be a better/safer way.

Please advise. Thanks in advance!

2. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

From finder preferences, choose the advanced tab and check the empty trash securely checkbox. That will cause the OS to overwrite the deleted files 7 times when you empty the trash. Once you do that, I'd be inclined to repartition and reformat the disk prior to selling it.

3. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

4. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Yeah, but he only has to do it once.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

That is only items that haven't been deleted yet.

Go into disk utility then go into the erase tab on the drives lowest level, then security options, select 7-pass erase. click ok then click erase. This is up to US department of defense standards it should be fine for you. :D

6. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Thanks, I think that is what I will do.

How do you repartition and reformat the disk?

7. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

The disk utility app - if you select the disk (as opposed to the partition(s) it contains), then one of the panes is titled partition. Erase reformats the disk using the file system you specify - do what trainguy77 recommended to securely reformat the disk.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You can always just leave it overnight. Its not like he is waiting to putting something on to it. :)

9. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Very true. Thanks for the help.

So basically I should be perfectly fine deleting everything the way you mentioned above?

Of course I need to wait until I buy Time Capsule to sell the Lacie drive because I don't have enough room on my internal drive to store the stuff! Bummer.

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes if you follow what i said you will be safe. :)