External Hard Drive icon does not appear on desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 4thStreetDesign, Sep 10, 2008.

1. 4thStreetDesign macrumors newbie

I bought a new external hard drive and when I connect it to the USB port, the icon does not appear on the desktop. The power is on. I checked the disk utility and it reads the external as being connected. I connected it to a PC and it worked fine. I checked the requirements and it is compatible with my OS.

I am running a Power Mac G4 on OS 10.2.8 (I know it's old, but it stills runs good)

Any suggestions?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If it is formatted in NTFS, it won't mount because 10.2 won't even read NTFS. I'm curious as to why you aren't on Tiger, and 10.2 is so slow compared to 10.3 or 10.4.

TEG

3. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

If disk utility is seeing it. that means it is mounted.
    Are you looking for a hard drive icon like the MAC HD icon. Since you are connecting it through usb, it is probably showing up as a removable disk icon. Like the one you would see from a memory stick or card. Click on your finder and look to the left under devices, you should see it their.

In disk utility you should erase and reformat it to Mac OS Extended (jurnaled).
    Most likely it is ms dos fat.

4. 4thStreetDesign thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. I went into disk utility and erased and reformated it to mac os extended. The USB Icon shows on the desktop but when I double click on it, the screen flashes, and no windows open. Then a pop up window that says "mounting volume" shows up.

I tried to open other folders but none of them open. I don't know what's going on. Do I continue to wait for the mounting volume to complete? It's been 10 min already.