external hard drive issue with new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmbossa, Aug 16, 2013.

1. rmbossa macrumors newbie

Hey, this is my first post on these forums but Ive been using macRumors for a long time.

Anyway last summer I purchased a Toshiba Canvio 500 GB External hard drive for my old macbook because I knew the end was near. When I eventually got a new one (15-inch, Mid 2012) it seems the permissions locked up when transfering from the old macbook.

Basically on the new macbook I can take things off of the external but I can not put anything new onto it. Under "sharing and permissions" when I click 'get info' on the external in finder it says "you can only read"

I looked into it at the time and anything I found about the issue was either outdated or just didnt work. So its been a while, but let me know if I should gather any additional info. I need my external back :(

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming you are the administrator, click the lock under sharing and permissions to unlock and change read only to read and write.

3. rmbossa thread starter macrumors newbie

Theres no lock. I am the only one who uses this macbook, im the admin.

[​IMG]

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It's formated to NTFS which is read only on OSX. You want FAT32 or exFAT.

5. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Do you have enough available space to move the contents of the external onto the MPB? Then you could reformat to FAT32 and transfer the data back onto the external without losing anything.

6. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

Or just buy Paragon NTFS and you can read/write under NTFS

7. rmbossa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the responses!

Hmmmm... I think I was just confused as to how it reverted back to NTSF when it was FAT32 back on the older macbook when I added everything onto it.

I had hoped not to have to transfer everything off to reformat as there is a lot on the external and not sure if it would go over smoothly.

I would be willing to purchase Paragon NTSF unless there was a free work around for this problem out there.