External hard drive issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cdrgold, Apr 14, 2011.

1. cdrgold macrumors member

Hello all

I received my 2011, 15", MBP yesterday and i have been playing around with it, trying to get used to it. I have been a windows user for as long as i can remember, so i am enjoying learning how things work differently on a mac.

I just have one small question. I plugged in my external hard drive, which i had been using with my windows based pc, and all of the files appear as 'read only' on my Mac. I have looked around google, and i understand i am having this problem because the drive is formatted as NTFS. I would very much like to be able to use the drive on a mac, as well as a windows computer. What options are available to me? I have looked into FAT32, but not too keen on having the file size restriction

2. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Here's just the software for you!

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24481/ntfs-3g

3. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

you might find this thread interesting.

instead, you could format the external for Mac and install MacDrive or HFS+ for Windows on the winsloth side.

4. cdrgold thread starter macrumors member

I think i am going to be using the external drive more often on the mac, then i would on a windows pc. Is there any software which lets windows read the mac os extended, format option? Also, i have noticed there is a exFAT option, i have never come across this before, is it still limited by the 4gb file limit?

5. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

check out the two apps i provided links to above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

6. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Yes MacDrive and HFS+ for Windows are good software although not free.

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

That looked interesting, but it says the pure 64 bit OS 10.6 of the Xserve isn't compatible. Does this mean it will not be fully compatible with the 64 bit kernel of the new MBPs?

8. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

It should since MBP are not XSERVE