External Hard drive issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Wickedste, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Wickedste macrumors newbie

Hi all,

new to register to the website although it has helped with many things on my new iMac.

i have an issue with a 1TB hard drive connected to my iMac that is shared on the network for storing family stuff on. (Pics etc)

start to finish is:

I have the new 21.5" iMac and plugged in are 2 external hard drives:

1 to handle time machine back ups and 1 1TB hard drive for the whole family that is used for storing files, docs and pictures etc etc from all the computers (windows laptops and this iMac)

The locations: Mac HD, Time Machine hard drive and 1TB hard drive are all shared through the iMac sharing settings. The 1TB hard drive is formatted to MS DOS format (and was able to be read and written to by both windows and apple before updating to Lion OS and was shared and working fine)

My family on their windows laptops can view all of these 3 shared iMac locations and can access the Mac HD and even the time machine back up hard drive fine on their laptops, however, the 1TB hard drive is showing but is unaccessible when clicked (also when the HD is unshared on the iMac, the folder does disappear from the windows pc's and when shared again re-appears on the laptops so looks like it is shared ok)

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!!! (p.s. sorry if that made absolutely no sense whatsoever lol :p)

Cheers guys!!!!! :D:D:D

2. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Not sure if it's related, but Lion caused some Windows sharing issues for me. I can't even see my shared folders on my WDTV, however this worked in SL.

So this may be the issue.

3. Wickedste thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

aaaarrr!! cheers for that fivedots!

i've found a small workaround until it works again anyhow as long it isnt just mine.

cheers again!

4. iqwertyi macrumors regular

Care to share what you did to get it working?
    I still cannot figure out how to share my USB drive connected to my iMac with my Windows 7 laptop. It's driving me crazy!