External Hard Drive, iTunes and a tad more...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Slaphappy, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Slaphappy macrumors newbie

Hi, I have had my MacBook for a while but have virtually filled my iTunes and am now wishing to store it on an external drive - you know, have iTunes appear so I can upload CDs on the go and such, but once the external drive is plugged in everything points to there.

My problems are as follows (and, please bear in mind I am something of a dummy when it comes to this stuff - so basic talk please!!)

1. How do I rename the hard drive (when connected it is marked as "untitled")

2. I have tried going through preferences on iTunes and selecting the drive as the new location but when I attempt to consolidate the library it tells me that I have no privileges to do so.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received as I have scoured Google and one friend with a Mac didn't have a clue what I was on about.

Many thanks.

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility. you should be able to rename the drive from here.

Also, make sure you are an administrator, for starters. Also, if you are, make sure the privelages for the iTunes folder are set correctly to allow you to edit the contents.

3. Slaphappy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I might need a little further information, though as I am floundering to a degree!

Sorry for being a tad dumb over this, but I have never had to install external drives or import/export information like this before.
    The whole admin thing on iTunes? How do I check/change the permissions or settings.

Thanks again!

4. Slaphappy thread starter macrumors newbie

Having spent the past hour ****ing around with the drive it's telling me that it is "read only" and I can't seem to unlock it or allow permission!

Any suggestions as this is driving me batty!

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Right click the drive in question, click on Get Info.. Go down to Sharing and Permissions and see what it says there. It should allow your user to Read & Write, especially if you're the administrator.

6. Slaphappy thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't - unfortunately. It says something along the lines of it being "Read only"

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Then change it to Read And Write! :)