External Hard Drive Keeps Disconnecting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Flipbee9, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Flipbee9 macrumors newbie

I have a WD Passport External Hard Drive and I've had it for less than a year. Now, I haven't had this problem until recently. When I plug in my hard drive to my Mac it's all fine, but it keeps disconnecting suddenly and my mac keeps giving me that message saying "You didn't disconnect it properly".. Now at first it disconnects but moments later it appears back up... What's happening here and how do I fix?

2. Relentlos macrumors member

Relentlos

Have you used it with the mac for that year?

I have a 300GB Maxxtor external HDD that used to do that to me. Turns out the software it uses to do syncing and stuff also had something to do with holding the connection to the mac. When I deleted the software thinking it was useless for me, my Maxxtor would suddenly disconnect if left there for a while, giving me the same error, as if I had just randomly shut it off or unplugged the USB.

After re-installing it's software, it's fine. I guess it contains drivers since the program was written for OS X.

edit: The maxxtor software only needed to be installed, not running constantly. I never open it since it's bad syncing program once corrupted my iTunes library.

3. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

My WD has started to do the same thing even though its been fine for nearly a year.

No software comes with it its just plug in and play. Bloody annoying when half way through an backup.

4. advres Guest

advres

Always troubleshoot the easiest solution and go from there changing one thing at a time. So change the cord first. If that fails plug into a different port on your computer. If that fails then maybe you have a bigger problem and I have no idea :p

5. Flipbee9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just bought this mac about 6 months ago. Before my mac life I've used it on a windows computer and have exchanged it back and forth between computers. I'll try doing so because I remember I did delete some stuff I thought was "useless" :)