External hard drive managing app??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dejital, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Dejital macrumors newbie

I have several external hard drives, and I need a good way of keeping track of both the files that exist on those drives as well as the available disk space.

In other words, I need a program that -- every time an external HDD is plugged in --
    remembers all of the directories and files on that hard drive locally.

If you can think of anything like that, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks!

2. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Asset Management

There are a number of Asset management programmes such as CUMULUS and PORTFOLIO which would do the trick, but they are expensive and pretty slow as the record far more than just the names of the files and allow offline previews etc. There are some shareware applications that do the same thing (although I have not used any) and it is not difficult to write such a program if you are programmer, although you do need to consider packages and invisible files.

Increasingly people need a 'super iTunes' which knows where everything is without it being on the attached hard-disk, due to the larger number of files we are keeping. If you have a few small hard disks, it might be easier just to buy one big one and copy all the files on to that and just use Spotlight.

HTH