External Hard Drive Media Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gala, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Gala macrumors regular

I used to have an external hard drive that help all my music. I drag & dropped from the EHD into iTunes. The track info was saved in iTunes but the only way I could get the music to play was when the EHD was plugged in. This saved me tons of space on my computers HDD.

I'm trying to accomplish the same system with my movies. I just moved them onto my EHD, deleted them from the Movies folder, & deleted them from iTunes. I then drag/dropped them from my EHD into iTunes. I followed the same system I had before but last night I unplugged my EHD and tried to watch a movie on my Apple TV (home sharing) to see if the file was still stored on the MBPro. The movie played perfectly.

What am I missing here? Is there another file stored locally on the MBPro that I haven't deleted or could the MBPro have found the movie file in its "Backup" files since I performed this process within a few hours?

2. mexico macrumors member

I know with music, when you drag something to iTunes it creates a copy of that file and places it in the iTunes folder on your local hard drive

3. Gala thread starter macrumors regular

I thought I checked there, I'll look again tonight. I just remember my old computer (PC) alerting me "file cannot be found" because EHD was unplugged. This time I'm using a Mac.

4. leeds utd fc macrumors member

It does the same with movies too. You just have to uncheck the 'copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library' box in preferences - advanced to stop it.