External hard drive mirrors my laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rich24, Mar 31, 2011.

1. rich24 macrumors newbie

I have an (old now) iBook G4 with the Tiger operating system (so no Time Machine) and have connected a 2TB WD Elements external hard drive, mainly for the purpose of saving my iPhoto and iTunes collections, so that I can delete some of them from my laptop's hard drive and free up space on it.

I have followed all of the tutorials as to how to do the above, and all goes fine until I start to delete photos or songs from the laptop. Whichever songs or photos I delete from the laptop also disappear from the external hard drive. I have tried disconnecting the external h/d whilst deleting stuff and then re-connecting it, and lo and behold, whatever stuff I have deleted from the internal hard drive has gone from the external one too.

Please tell me what on earth I am doing wrong? Many thanks.

2. zurichuk macrumors regular

Are you using the supplied WD Backup program that comes with the disk?

If so, check what you have set for Purge Deleted Files in the Preferences.

3. rich24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply Zurichek, and apologies for a tardy response. There wasn't any disk. I just re-formatted it to work on a Mac, plugged it in and my laptop recognised it all but unfortunately when I delete a file on my internal hard drive, having saved it on the external h/d, it disappears from the external h/d too - photos, songs etc

Any thoughts?

4. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

Are you deleting the files through Finder, or in iTunes and iPhoto themselves?

5. rich24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm deleting individual songs through iTunes, individual photos through iPhoto and other files eg Word documents etc through simply dragging them to the Trash. Grateful for any thoughts.