external hard drive no longer connected?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by veeco3110, Aug 22, 2008.

1. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

today my mac for some reason or another froze. well not froze but acting very sluggish. figured the 4 gig of memory would have solved that.((running only 5 programs mind you))

so i do a hard restart of the computer((pressing and holding the power button)) and when i come back my external is no longer there. hasnt been connected all day!

its a western digital 500 gig hard drive. i disconnected everything on it and re instaled it. nothing. i just get the spinning light in the front. bought it in december of 07.

any ideas of what could be wrong or what i can do to fix it???

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

3. veeco3110 thread starter macrumors 6502

veeco3110

nope not being recognized by my computer at all...

for those familiar with the WDs the circle on the front is spinning. if i power it off i can hear the hard drive spin up. i still hear the fans going at a nice soft wizz. its just not coming up on disk utility or anywhere on my computer.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

got another external drive you can try on the Mac? Have a PC around you can try to plug the drive into?

5. veeco3110 thread starter macrumors 6502

veeco3110

Nope only computer is my mac. It lights up. Acts like it's loading. Then that's it. Doesn't connect nothing. Any programs to get my pictures off it. That's all that I want