External hard drive not mounted after reboot

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by happycadaver, Sep 28, 2015.

1. happycadaver, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

happycadaver macrumors regular

happycadaver

I would like to address an issue i have since Yosemite, which didn't really bother me until now.

I have an external hdd stack (USB 3.0), on which my media library is stored. If i start my iMac normally, this drive is mounted and iTunes is able to find it. If i make a reboot. the drive isn't mounted - but still powered on, since it does not go into standby during a reboot - and i can't use my library. The only option is to to a shutdown and restart. I even added the drive to my user account, which did help with an external drive a couple of years ago. Didn't help in this case.

Is there another solution to ensure the auto-mount of the external drive, regardless of the state of OS?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I realize this answer may seem simplistic, but have you tried unplugging/reconnecting the USB cord after the reboot?

Something else to try:
    Download Semulov, a small, free utility:
    http://www.kainjow.com
    When launched, it puts an icon in the menu bar. You can select from items in its list to mount and unmount volumes.

Does Semulov "see" your [after rebooting] "unmounted" volume?
    What happens if you choose it in Semulov's list?

3. happycadaver thread starter macrumors regular

happycadaver

Yes, unplugging works, but i don't like making unsafe removals with USB equipment. Can't be healthy in the long run.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote:
    "Yes, unplugging works, but i don't like making unsafe removals with USB equipment. Can't be healthy in the long run."

In that case, follow this procedure:
    1. Shut down computer
    2. UNplug USB drive after the Mac has powered down.

then, when it's necessary to reboot:
    1. Reboot Mac
    2. When you get to the finder, re-plugin the USB drive.

This "works around" the "unsafe removal"...