External hard drive not readable

Discussion in 'macOS' started by emmeecee, Nov 23, 2011.

1. emmeecee macrumors newbie

My MBP kept freezing up because of a loose cable connecting the internal hard drive. Well, my WD 1tb external hard drive was connected to it when it froze up. I got the cable fixed, now every time I connect my HD to any mac, windows, ps3, whatever, it doesn't recognize it. It always says "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". It doesn't show up in disk utility, but it does in system profiler. What should I do? Help please!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Since you have access to a Windows PC I suggest you purchase Spinrite and then take that HDD and connect it to the PC, internally if possible and run Spinrite on level 2 first to recover it.

I bet a sector got corrupted and that's what is preventing it from working. Then later run Spinrite at level 4 for regular maintenance.

3. emmeecee thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any other way I can fix it without purchasing something?
    Thanks

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Perhaps there are other HDD maintenance and recovery apps available. Look for the Trinity Rescue Kit. It has many utilities built into a Linux bootable CD. I can't remember if it has a HDD recovery tool or not.

Either way, the TRK is an awesome FREE utility disc to have on hand.

But Spinrite is a very good tool to have and I've recovered many Windows BSOD's for people with it.