External Hard Drive Not Recognized

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aluna, Nov 1, 2008.

1. aluna macrumors newbie

I've got an external hard drive. It's a "My BooK" Western Digital 500 Gb that uses both USB and Firewire. I've used it many times successfully with my MacBook but today, my Macbook will not recognize it.
    What can I do?

2. goobimama macrumors regular

Is the drive showing up in disk utility (applications > Utilities > disk utility)? If not, while booting your mac, hold down option key and see if the drive shows up there.

Is the drive spinning when you plug it in? What about on a PC?

3. davidlew macrumors newbie

External Hard Drive has stopped being recognized by MBP

I have been using my iomega External Hard drive for months as my Time Machine backup.

It has now stopped being recognized by my MBP. I have checked the disk utility, it is not being recognized. The drive is spinning and the blue indicator light is on.

WHAT CAN I DO!?!?!? Plz!

Also, my friend used my external yesterday to make sure it works with other MB's and it works on his! What can I do???

4. applegroupie macrumors newbie

External Hard Drive Not Recognized

Thank you, goobimama, who suggested - back in 2008 - going to : applilcations>utility>disk utility. That app. did see my external hard drive (note: my MacBook has just recently stopped recognizing my external hard drive - My Book). I'm repairing that External hard drive now and hopefully all will be well again.
    My cat has taken to sitting on my MacBook after I walk away and has created several *interesting* quirks on it. I need to close it down before I walk away..