External hard drive not registering on desktop!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JaydosMyMados, May 24, 2015.

1. JaydosMyMados macrumors newbie

So I had this issue a while back and it has only just re occurred as I need my external hard drive again. So I use this drive throughout the week and have done this past week and all seemed to be fine, however today I plugged my WD External hard drive in to my Mac Air and it does not show up, even though this light is blinking indicating it is working? I also looked at a few other suggestion and decided to repair the disk due to it being greyed out on disk utility, no luck. Any ideas, I cant afford to wipe it either, Ive got so much on this stupid hard drive, and i have solved this problem in the past? Thanks.

2. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Does it show up in finder?

It will only show up on the desktop if that is enabled in:
    Finder->Settings->General

If it does not show up in finder, you can check diskutility and try to make the drive active (toolbar), if it is listed.

3. Axeros macrumors member

From time to time the USB device drivers can hang on Mac OS X. The simplest solution is unplug the device, reboot the MacBook Air, and then reconnect the device.

4. JaydosMyMados thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive tried restarting, nothing.

----------

And ive checked my finder settings and it should show but still nothing :(

5. motrek macrumors 68020

Could be your cable went bad. I didn't think this was really a thing until it happened to me a couple years ago. Sounds like very similar symptoms. Try a different cable.