External Hard drive not responding!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jalove000, Jun 22, 2010.

1. jalove000 macrumors newbie

I have a WD 1TB hard drive that I use with my Macbook Pro. I use it as a back up for everything I have (music, movies, pictures, email, etc.) I hooked it up to my xbox360 the other day to watch a movie and it stopped working on the xbox. I then plugged it into my mac and it gave me a disc insertion error and will not mount. I bought a program called Disc Rescue to try to salvage what I could from the drive but it is not showing up. I know I did not delete anything from the hard drive but I am afraid something happened when I went from xbox to mac. I'm really scared I have lost everything I have. Can somebody help me get all my files back?

Lost without my library,
    Josh

2. jampat macrumors 6502a

This is a backup or your only copy? What file format is the disk formatted in? Can you hear the disk spinning up?

My guess here is either hardware, or the xbox did not properly dismount the volume so OSX is giving you a hard time.

Once you get it fixed, for the love of god, create a proper backup. An external drive is probably the most failure prone device that you can use to store data (high chance of it getting banged, normally crappy thermal management and hard drives aren't the most reliable objects to begin with). That being said, they are one the easiest and cheapest ways to store data. At the very least, get a second drive and mirror your current drive. Update the mirror once a week or so and you should lose less than a weeks data if a drive dies. Personally I try to keep another copy offsite so if the house burns down I still have data more than a month old.

3. jalove000 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is my only copy. I had just switched everything over to this drive. Was going to purchase a new one for back up but this all happened while I was out town.

This is what it says when I go into Disc Utility.

Name : WD Media
    Type : Disk

Partition Map Scheme : Unformatted
    Disk Identifier : disk1
    Media Name : WD Media
    Media Type : Generic
    Connection Bus : USB
    USB Serial Number : 202020202020202020202020202020
    Device Tree : /PCI0@0/USB7@1D,7/@2:0
    Writable : Yes
    Ejectable : Yes
    Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
    Total Capacity : 2 TB (2,199,023,255,552 Bytes)
    S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
    Disk Number : 1
    Partition Number : 0

The disc does spin but then it stops and I get the error message.

Thank you for your help!