External Hard Drive Now Read Only?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Stilface, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Stilface macrumors member

So i reinstalled Mac OSX and now my external hard drive, which was formatted to work with Mac and PC (NTFS), has now become read only. Pre-Reinstall i was able to read and write to and from it perfectly fine with both my Mac and any PC over the network.
    I am unable to change the permissions in the 'Get Info' windows, and Disk Utility greys out the 'Repair Permissions' buttons.

Any ideas as to how i fix this?

Thanks

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Reinstalling OS X probably removed or disabled your NTFS-3G software (or some equivalent) which gave you write access to NTFS volumes. Reinstall that and you should be set.

3. NStocks macrumors 65816

I'm also getting the same warning. Though I've been using my external HD for over 2 years! IT's connected directly to a USB Hub... I got the same message a few weeks ago, so I formatted the HD. It happened again this week :confused:

Perhaps a new HD is in order?

4. SwedeMac macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Newer updates of OS X don't seem to support NTFS at all... I installed the NTFS X app to get it all going again.

5. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Not 100% true, they support reading of NTFS natively, you just can't write to it. There are methods to get OSX to write natively (very buggy) or use 3rd party addons to allow writing to NTFS.

6. JCaetanophoto macrumors newbie

Having the same issue. I got a stock Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard and then after lion upgrade....now its read only.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom