external hard drive NTFS-3G error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smackay86, Jan 17, 2010.

1. smackay86 macrumors newbie

I am having trouble mounting my hard drive in mac. It works fine in windows just not on my mac. I have downloaded NTFS-3G. I have been using this hard drive for a few weeks without any issues, but now I get this message when trying to mount in mac....

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1 at volumes/untitled becasue the following problem occurred:

Error reading bootsector: Input/output error
    Failed to mount '/dev/rdisk1': Input/output error
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault

I have no idea what this means. How can I sort this out so I can mount my hard drive again?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Are you ejecting the drive before disconnecting it in Windows?

3. smackay86 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes...i rarely use it in windows. Actually I haven;t used it in windows in about a month. I only used it in windows recently to check after this problem.

4. smackay86 thread starter macrumors newbie

i actually double checked it in windows and it recognizes the hard drive. But I cant actually open anything in it. So it isnt fully functional in windows either.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

6. smackay86 thread starter macrumors newbie

not terribly important...but id rather not lose it all

7. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I have been having a few issues with an external drive not showing up in Mac, and I think it is related to NTFS 3G as well.

It does not show up in the finder as a HD, so as a workaround I open Disk Utility and see it there, then click on the hyperlink at the bottom /Volumes/HD name - works a treat. Not perfect, but will do for now as I do not use it too often.

I am just suggesting that this might be an alternative way for you to see what is on the HD ion your Mac and then copy it off and reformat if you need.

8. smackay86 thread starter macrumors newbie

appreciate the suggestion, but it didnt work. My HD doesnt show up in disk utility either.

When I try to mount it now on mac it tells me to do this...

run chkdsk /f on windows the reboot into windows twice. The usage of the /f paramater is very important! if the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID the first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/directory, (e.g./dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details.

I sort of understand this but not totally. Can someone tell me how to do this?

9. lefooey macrumors member

10. THC macrumors newbie

Smackay86... did you ever fix this problem?
    I have the same exact error message and can't find any help anywhere.
    Please let me know (hopefully you still check this??)

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That post is over a year old and the OP hasn't been on this site for months. Don't hold your breath on them responding. That's the problem with first-time posters: half the time they never come back to post again.