External Hard Drive ? On 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hollywood334, Sep 27, 2011.

1. hollywood334 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just did a clean install of 10.6 from 10.5. I have a WD My Book essential 1tb. My ? Is can I use it like a jump drive? This is what I'm wanting to do if-possible, I would love to have all my movie and pictures only on external hd and leave my iMacs hd clean and access the movies through iTunes through external hd.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can store music, movies, etc. on an external drive and still run them from your Mac.

3. tomllama macrumors regular

The only issue will be speed. An external connected via USB has slower transfer rates than your internal drive.

You can not only store files on the external, but it can be a boot drive too.

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449

Or move your entire iTunes folder to the external drive (next time you launch iTunes it will ask you to tell it where you moved the library folder to).

5. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I have my entire iTunes library on an external drive mounted on a separate computer, and it usually works fine. Occasionally I have a bit of jitter if the server is working too hard, but that's rare.