External hard drive on ipad 2 (jailbroken)

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by marcjeno1, Nov 11, 2011.

1. marcjeno1 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Is it possible to use an external hard drive on an jailbroken 4.3.3 Ipad 2? I cant find any information on the Ipad 2 with an external hard drive. I know it is working for the ipad 1, but anyone tested it with the ipad 2?

2. iCheddar, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

If you want an external drive, the simplest solution would be to pick up Seagate's new wireless HDD. It's compatible with smartphones, iPads and full computers, no jailbreak required.

3. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I'll give mine a try tomorrow and let you know.

4. marcjeno1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm.. no i want to connect the external HD through the USB Camera Connection Kit. Dont want any wireless external HD's ;P

Let me know if it worked!:D

5. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

i wouldn't expect it to work, i don't think it has the ability to read an external file system. I'm not sure how it connects with the photos though. I'll be surprised if it does work :eek:

6. riceguy macrumors newbie

u need a DUAL USB power cable to help power the hard drive becauze the AMPs coming out from the Ipad was reduced, i got it to work plugging 1 end into wall charger and the other usb into the ipad.

its a bit complicated since it will not auto mount, you need mobile terminal and manually mount/unmount everytime u use it.

(forgot to add, it will only read FAT32 hard drives.

there is a youtube video on the whole process. but he uses a laptop to ssh into it, u can use mobile terminal instead without the laptop.