Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrightyboy01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Hi
I am beginning to get twitchy with all my data stored on my iMac. I have backed up iPhoto onto a Firelite portable hard drive this is only 60gb. I have a 500gb iMac currently half full with Home vids, music and pic.

I have read reviews for the TC and am a bit concerned re the 'Dying' episodes people have had. Can anyone recommend a decent Hard drive or convince me on a TC. Thanks

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I had a TC and found that it would get way too hot. With all the reports of dying TC's I ended up selling mine and got an AEBS+HD. I like having the option of having an external HD that I can take with me rather than having it be stuck inside of my TC.

wrightyboy01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Thanks for your time guys. Have read the replies and links and will go for a stand alone hard drive. Cheers

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The major benefit of a NAS drive or a Time Capsule over a stand-alone drive is that you can leave it turned on and available 24/7, which means any time your Mac is on, it is automatically getting backed up hourly. With a stand-alone drive you have to remember to hook it up and back up manually, which, while far better than nothing, is not nearly so convenient or reliable a backup solution in the long run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.