External hard drive partition not showing up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dolphin842, May 6, 2007.

1. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

This morning when I turn my external firewire drive on, only one partition shows up. Disk Utility told me that the errant partition "Volume Header needs minor repair," which Disk Utility subsequently 'repaired,' but it's still not mounting. A picture of the situation is below.

Actually, the Terminal shows the partition just fine, and I've been able to copy over some of the more important files (I just got done with a Final Cut project last night!)... but if anyone has any suggestions on how to get OS X to see the partition again, I'd be much appreciative.

EDIT: While I try to get this sorted out, it might be worth asking a few questions related to my situation. First, does a bad volume header suggest a potential flaw in the hardware, or did the header just get corrupted? Second, in regards to potential ZFS support that may come with Leopard, could this situation be avoided in the future if I had two mirrored ZFS drives checking for data integrity?

Attached Files:

2. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

Alright... after I restarted, the drive seems to mount OK... but should I still be concerned about any impending drive failure?