External Hard Drive (PC to Mac) strange issue!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AdamWHU, Apr 22, 2009.

1. AdamWHU macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

this is my first post being new to Macs, and I can't find an instance where this problem has been covered elsewhere, but I'm getting seriously frustrated with this issue!

I've just recently been given an iMac and I'm trying to access my files and use my previously PC-mounted external hard drive as my iTunes library and general storage for everything else. However, I'm having permission issues in that it will only allow me read-only status. I followed instructions from other forums and google searches that said I should install macFUSE and NTFS-3G drivers and this would solve the issue, which it did. Then my girlfriend turned off the hard drive accidently at the wall socket and once I remounted it, it has returned to read-only once again and even re-installing the drivers makes no difference!!! :mad:

Any help????

Thanks,
    Adam

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Connect the drive to a Windows PC, properly unmount it from there, then reconnect it to your Mac.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

MacFUSE has the potential to damage an NTFS volume more-so than through "normal" use.

If you don't store files that are over 4GB (for a single file, not folder) then I would suggest using FAT. FAT is an older format so it can't store a single file larger than 4GB, but is the one format that can read/write properly to Windows and Mac OS, and is what nearly all flash drives are formatted as.

After that, the Mac OS can only read NTFS as you've noticed.

If the volume is not ejected properly, especially because of the stupid problems with NTFS and caching (even on Windows, and it's the reason you can't format a flash drive to NTFS in XP by default), it could essentially destroy the filesystem on the drive.

http://lifehacker.com/5195783/format-a-usb-drive-as-ntfs-in-windows-xp explains what I'm talking about abit more.