External Hard Drive Powersupply

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CIA, Sep 19, 2011.

1. CIA macrumors 6502a

I bought a open box/refurb/whatever single drive external firewire 800/eSATA/USB2 case from OWC. It was not one of their cases, was in the garage sale section, and had no warranty. It worked fine for about a year, but then the power brick that came with it died a few days back. The case has no labels on it, but the powerbrick brand is Jentec (the same as some of their in house cases). I had a mercury dual bay case from OWC, and it's Jentec power brick died every few months. So I'm not a huge fan of the Jentec power supply brand overall.... Anyway, I bought a replacement powersupply that more or less fits the original, but the Amp on the new one is 3amp vs 2amp on the old one. The plugs are the same that goes into the actual external box, will the power supply fry it or should it be ok?
    (while a little blurry, the pinout digram is identical on both power supplies.)

Picture of the old and new power bricks side by side:
    [​IMG]

2. kwiky macrumors member

Looks like the newer one will output the same DC 12v and 5v you need, with even more amperage (if needed) so I'd say you're good to go!

3. CIA thread starter macrumors 6502a

So the added amperage won't be used if the case doesn't need it? Similar to how you can charge an iPhone with the larger output iPad power brick without harming the phone? Power isn't my area of expertise :cool:.