External hard drive problem. Plugged HD into Mac, now can't access files on either OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Peckman, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Peckman, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012

Peckman macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So basically I have two identical external hard drives. I accidentally plugged the NTFS windows external into my OS X system and it froze. When I then plugged it into my Windows 7 system it can't read the disk and is telling me to format the drive. It also assigned a letter to the drive (Local Disk F: ) instead of the usual Expansion Drive name it's given when plugged in. If possible I'd like to fix this issue without losing all the data on the drive..

Any useful advice on how to access my files?

Thanks!

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Seeing as this is an NTFS drive, this is probably not the best forum to be asking. There are plenty of windows based disk recovery programs out there I'm betting this site could help you find some.

That being said, there is no reason your mac should have locked up when you plugged in this drive.

3. Peckman thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it happened when I plugged an NTFS drive into my OS X MacBook, and I figured some people on this forum must have borrowed an external HD from a friend or something in the past and maybe this happened to them. Also, lots of OS X users use Tuxera/Paragon so might be familiar with NTFS and cross OS file reading/writing/etc

No need to be condescending by hotlinking Google as if I hadn't already thought of searching around, :rolleyes:

No harm in asking friendly forum users as well.

Cheers

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Sorry 'bout the link - just messing with ya.

Anyway, my point was that I think you should probably try to repair it on a windows box. I don't use windows much any more, but I recall a program called disk warrior that was pretty good at this sort of thing.

On the mac, are you using some sort of 3rd party NTFS driver, or just the stock read-only driver? Did you get a kerel crash dump?