External Hard Drive Problems - freezing :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LemmycautioN, Oct 5, 2010.

1. LemmycautioN macrumors member

I have an external drive, Gtech 500 GB desktop drive.

When I connect it everything seems fine but when I try to do anything with it the Finder will freeze - or if I try to fix it with techtool that will freeze.

Disk Utility doesn't freeze and it has verified that the drives appears to be OK.

Does anybody have any ideas what the problem could be?

The only way that I can unfreeze the Finder is to unplug the drive. If I relaunch the Finder is will just quit and it won't start until I unplug the drive.

I have had this happen with other external drives on a different computer and I do remember that it turned out that the drive itself was fine.

Also, I have connected it with FW800 and USB and I have used multiple wires.

:(

2. LemmycautioN thread starter macrumors member

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Maybe you should reset your I/O (Perform a PRAM reset) or an SMC reset if the former doesn't work.

4. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

After doing what daneoni recommended, try repairing your main HDD, then repair its permissions. You said it wasn't the drive's fault, so it could be a problem with the permissions in your main drive?

5. LemmycautioN thread starter macrumors member

Good suggestions guys
    I did reset my PRAM last month for a different reason but I'll try that again along with an SMC reset and man hard drive permission repairs etc.

I'll post the results tomorrow

thanks again guys