External Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wellies, Jun 25, 2011.

1. wellies macrumors newbie

Hi all,

There are a lot of similar threads in this forum but not exactly what matches my situation. I have recently changed from PC to Mac and have two external hard drives. They work fine in Windows and they did work fine in Mac (albeit read only) as of a couple of days ago. For some reason when I plug them in they no longer appear or mount. They are recognised in the USB tree but in Disk Utility they are greyed out (See attached screenshot). I've tried verifying, repairing, mounting etc but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Hope someone can help a new happy mac user!

Btw I have an iMac - 10.6.8 - 4Gb - 2.5GHz i5

Attached Files:

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

You can try MACFUSE.
    It should be able to mount any FS.
    I really can't tell you why yours stopped reading NTFS.:confused:

3. wellies thread starter macrumors newbie

its weird aint it. I've tried MacFuse/NTFS-3G/Paragon but because its not recognising the volumes it can't even mount them in there. :(

4. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Try this...
    Remove your drive from the USB port
    Open a terminal and run the following command "tail -f /var/log/system.log" hit enter
    You should get something similar to this, but with your Volume Name
    Jun 25 12:13:39 Jeffs-MacBook-Pro fseventsd[46]: could not open <</Volumes/NO NAME/.fseventsd/fseventsd-uuid>> (No such file or directory)
    Jun 25 12:13:39 Jeffs-MacBook-Pro fseventsd[46]: log dir: /Volumes/NO NAME/.fseventsd getting new uuid: A24B1BA3-EC73-4CD0-8658-CFA6D537348C

This says that Unix was able to see the drive, which should be true in your case because the Disk Utility shows the device.

Hit Control + c to cancel the "tail" command

Type "mount" hit enter and you should get your currently mounted devices, like this...
    /dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
    devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
    map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
    map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
    /dev/disk1 on /Volumes/NO NAME (msdos, local, nodev, nosuid, noowners)

Then type "cd /Volumes/NO NAME" and hit enter(your name will be different and it IS case sensitive)
    Then type "ls" and enter(the ls command is for "list" like the dir command in DOS)

Can you see any of the contents of your drive?

5. wellies thread starter macrumors newbie

hi thanks for your help, I got this when I ran that command:

Stuart-Eavess-iMac:~ Eaves$ tail -f /var/log/system.log
    Jun 25 17:54:47 Stuart-Eavess-iMac [0x0-0x11011].com.logmein.hamachi[142]: gui_link: got message 314
    Jun 25 17:55:09 Stuart-Eavess-iMac login[157]: USER_PROCESS: 157 ttys000
    Jun 25 17:55:36 Stuart-Eavess-iMac login[157]: DEAD_PROCESS: 157 ttys000
    Jun 25 17:55:44 Stuart-Eavess-iMac Apple80211 framework[106]: Scan() error -3905 (Timeout)
    Jun 25 17:55:44 Stuart-Eavess-iMac Apple80211 framework[106]: __performScan() failed (-3905)
    Jun 25 17:56:09 Stuart-Eavess-iMac com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't load /System/Library/Filesystems/ufsd_NTFS.fs/Contents/Resources/ufsd_NTFS.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
    Jun 25 17:56:09 Stuart-Eavess-iMac com.apple.kextd[10]: Failed to load /System/Library/Filesystems/ufsd_NTFS.fs/Contents/Resources/ufsd_NTFS.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.
    Jun 25 17:56:09 Stuart-Eavess-iMac kextloadlogger[172]: /System/Library/Filesystems/ufsd_NTFS.fs/Contents/Resources/ufsd_NTFS.kext
    Jun 25 17:56:09 Stuart-Eavess-iMac diskarbitrationd[13]: unable to mount /dev/disk1s1 (status code 0x00000047).
    Jun 25 17:57:15 Stuart-Eavess-iMac login[175]: USER_PROCESS: 175 ttys000

6. Jagardn, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the long delay, had a busy day.
    You can try this...
    As in my last post go to the terminal and type "mount" then enter. What do you get?

Try to mount the disk with the following commands, note that anything in quotes is to be entered in the terminal followed by the enter key.

Make a temporary directory:
    "mkdir /tmp/disk"
    Mount the disk to the temp directory:
    "sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/disk1s1 /tmp/disk" - this will ask for your password
    Change directory to temp:
    "cd /tmp/disk"
    Check to see if the disk is now readable:
    "ls"

Did you get a list of files?

7. wellies thread starter macrumors newbie

8. leslieli macrumors newbie

HI Jagardn,

I also get the "0x00000047" error on my FireWire disk. I tried your commands and I can see all contents in the disk. But I cannot backup due to all file stated zero byte. How could I do? Thank you very much!

Regards, Leslie

9. Striek macrumors newbie

Apologies for the necro, but since this thread was the first Google hit for "status code 0x00000047", I wanted to share the solution I found to this problem.

After opening up the System Profiler (or System Information), and refreshing the information under FIle->Refresh Information, the drive mounted properly, in my case an external RAID enclosure.