External Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AndyWR, Dec 9, 2008.

1. AndyWR macrumors newbie

AndyWR

Hi guys,

I was hoping someone here could help me with this problem I have encountered with my external Drive (My Book Pro 500 GB)

In the last couple of days i have been finding the most unusual behavior, which i think are symptomatic of drive problem.

1. Some files on this drive (mp3, avi, etc) are unable to be copied from the drive to another drive or DVD. When i try to, i get time outs (file could not be read or written to) or other errors. The copy starts, then halts and ultimately it just times out.

2. Some files, like the ones above, take forever to copy, regardless of size, but they do eventually copy.

3. Some files, again like the ones above, won't copy, but when I try to play them on say preview or quicktime, I have no issues.

4. Other files are just fine.

This drive is constantly been written to as it is my recording drive (tv) and my download drive, so my guess is that it has just worn out.

I tried doing a disk repair and disk check (using disk utility), but that turns out no problems or errors. I know in Windows you can do a whole drive check/repair that takes ages and scans the drive surface (using check disk), but mac doesn't seem to have anything like that built in (at least to my knowledge).

The drive if formatted using OS Extended Journaled. Also I had a problem once with this drive but it happen when the drive was formatted as FAT32 and after a failure the drive was in read-only mode, I managed to rescue most of the dat then and I'm hoping i can do the same this time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

2. smirking macrumors 6502a

Is there a size correlation to the files that won't copy? I do believe that there is a size limitation to what you can copy though you would have to have one hell of a long recording to hit that size limit.

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

If your MyBook was unmounted by unix or by cable removal when the drive was being accessed in any way, you can experience expansive data loss. Mine got seriously F'd when I was doing a defrag with drive genius so I could repartition it, and I lost dozens of TV shows, movies, and albums. I still come across broken files sometimes, months later.

You can try data rescue from prosoft to recover your files. If nothing else, it will output a list of broken files.