Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilabob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Hi, I just bought a Terabyte hard drive and I think somethings wrong with it but I'm not sure what... I transfered all my files from my old hard drive to my new one. It filled up about 200GBs but if I fill it up above that mark the data becomes corrupt. If I put it file in and try to copy it back to the desktop it gives me error code 36. I have tried reformatting the drive and that doesn't help. I made a partition on it after the first partition and anything I put on it is able to be copied back. I just downloaded Tech Tool 5 and am not sure what to do first. Any suggestions? I bought it online so it would be a pain to send it back. I'll do anything to fix it. Thanks for any help.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
What brand did you buy?

I suggest reformatting the drive before using it. In Disk Utility, choose to zero out the drive. This will clear up any bad sectors that might be causing you trouble.

Wilabob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
OK, I tried that and I still have the same problem. It took 4 hours to zero out and it still doesn't work... It got knocked over once could this have been what caused it?What's weird is that I can still play the media off it, even the files that won't copy... Thanks again.

EDIT: I just remembered, I just upgraded to snow leopard, the drive worked fine before the snow leopard upgrade. But this was also after it got knocked over.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
If the hard drive is formatted to a certain format, which I cant remember now off the top my head (its been a long day) there is a ceiling to the partition size.

Open Disk Utility and format it as Mac OSX journaled. That should sort out the 'ceiling' you are reaching.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I just know that when I had an external hard formatted as FAT32, OSX would not let me copy large amounts of data onto it. I formatted it to OSX journaled and it worked fine.

May not be directly involved with the file format but I found that I had a problem with FAT32 and OSX.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4 GiB, but there are no consumer drives available today that are too big for the format. However, it does become inefficient and easily fragmented as volumes become larger.

Wilabob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
So is there anything I can do? Why do I only have the problem when I try to copy files and not when I play them right from the hard drive? Something doesn't add up right. Should I try copying the file when in bootcamp with windows? I'm starting to think this is a OS X problem, but I'm not sure. I'll see if I can copy with windows. I'll report back soon.

Wilabob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
OK, Looks like its the hard drive not the Mac, I'll see if I can send it back. Thanks for all the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.