External Hard drive purchase help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BiggeeC, Nov 10, 2008.

1. BiggeeC macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2002
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Hey everybody. I've had my 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro since March, and have loved everything about it. Well, almost everything. I hate that my hard drive is only 185.99 GB (so it says). I have a thing for watching DVD's and TV show DVD's on this thing, and have downloaded many, many episodes of my favorite shows. I only have 20 GB left. I'm in the market for an external hard drive. I don't need anything huge, like 1 TB or anything. Maybe something around 250 GB or 320 GB. Plus, speed really isn't a factor to me. I just want to transfer all of my downloads off of my HDD. Also, I don't want to spend that much. I was thinking around $70-$80 max. I was perusing New Egg this morning and found a few. I don't know much about these brands or anything. Anybody know anything about these? Also, if they are garbage, anyone have any recommendations? Thanks

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

May 1, 2007
    Norwich, UK
    You could just upgrade your internal hard drive to 500GB :D

All you would need in addition is a SATA caddy to read your old drive when you migrate across to your new drive using Migration Assistant.
  3. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Nov 12, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    False economy. I wouldn't trust my data to one of these drives.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Feb 12, 2007
    Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    Yeah, the 500 gb Samsung is only $110 this week. If you feel comfortable cracking open your MBP, about a 20 minute job.

Agree here. You should buy a reputable hard drive (Seagate and Samsung, IMO) and a good USB2 enclosure to put it in (e.g., Macally, Vantech, Icydock).
  5. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Jul 8, 2008
    my house
    for what you want it for, they look fine to me