External Hard Drive Question/problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bigpz1981, Nov 4, 2008.

1. bigpz1981 macrumors newbie

I am having trouble writing/deleting data on my external hard drive. My external HD is comprised of the internal HD that I pulled out of my PC with a case on it. I was told that I would be able to use this on my Mac, but so far I haven't had any luck with it. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to delete the PC files into my recycle bin? Why can't I add new data to it? Please feel free to chime in on any or all of the questions. Thanks alot...

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

What is the format of the disk? is it ntfs? If it is NTFS it can't be written by OSx. If you can read from it but not write to it it sounds like it is NTFS. You can check this by doing 'get info' on the volume and looking at the Format: field.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

To add to the previous response, with the normal software in Mac OSX you can only read from NTFS formatted volumes as was correctly noted.

There is a free software solution that can add the ability to write to NTFS volumes though- using the combination of MacFUSE and NTFS-3G (easy to find with Google using just the names as search terms), your Mac can then read and write to a NTFS volume fine.

There is also a commercial solution called Paragon that does the same thing, but I have had no reason to investigate it since I use the free solution and don't do much with NTFS volumes.