External Hard drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jordanf1end, Dec 26, 2010.

1. jordanf1end macrumors newbie

hey guys happy holidays! i recent received a Western Digital 1TB external HD for christmas. It has 2 partitions 1 for time machine backups and another just for some extra space . They are both set to Mac Os Journaled and work fine but when i connected it to my brother Windows laptop to get some music of his hard drive, it wasnt able to find the hard drive. i tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and nothing happened. any help? thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    • Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
    • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
    • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner backups of Mac internal hard drive.
    • To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
    • To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
    • Maximum file size: 8EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 8EiB

3. MacTribe macrumors member

MacTribe

In simple terms, mac formats are not read by windows (not seen either!)

BUT

You can get a third party app like MacDrive to translate. Works pretty well but not cheap.. :rolleyes:

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Don't forget exFAT, also known as FAT64.
    • Read/write natively in Windows XP (with an optional update), Windows Vista (with Service Pack 2), Windows 7, and Mac OS X (10.6.5 or later)
    • exFAT formatting should always be done with Windows, since Windows doesn't recognize Mac-formatted exFAT volumes for some odd reason
    • Maximum file size: 64ZiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64ZiB

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't forget it. Since it only works with certain versions of Mac OS X and Windows, it's not the best choice for compatibility.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That is true - you are 100% correct. I mentioned it just in case the OP was interested and had a setup compatible with it.

7. MacTribe macrumors member

MacTribe

FAT32 is OK but still sucks when it comes to files larger than 4GB.. Wish we could get a world 'standard' on these things.. Like TCP/IP in the networking world. :D

8. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Actually, the equivalent of TCP/IP is working just fine in the storage world. Connecting drives and reading raw data is virtually bulletproof regardless of system. I would rather liken the different file systems with protocols on top of the IP stack, like FTP, HTTP, Bittorrent and so on. While not a perfect analogy, it's a fair bit closer at least.

Back to topic anyways... I've on several occasions tried to decide how to handle similar situations as the OP. In order to solve it successfully, I basically had to redefine my problem.

My external drives are formatted for OS X, period.

For data exchange with other computers, I either use a network, the Internet or a decently-sized USB key formatted as FAT32. While the latter constitutes another piece of hardware to purchase, I found it worth every penny. I'm not comfortable with other people messing with my drives anyway. :p