External hard drive question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by APPLEFAN8, Mar 30, 2011.

1. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I ran out of room on my 500GB External HD, I want a new one probably a 1TB. I shoot photography and have 58GB on my HD, is there a way to remove it from my macbook HD and just transfer it to my new external once I get it so I can gain 58GB for my macbook hard drive? Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just copy the data to the external, make sure it is there and then delete it from the internal HD.

3. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

That easy huh? Thanks! I can always drag it back to my MacBook HD right if I have a customer who wants a specific photo? Thanks!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Of course. It is exactly the same like it is in your internal. And no need to drag all 58GB, just drag the file(s) you or the customer want. Or you can drag them straight to a USB stick.

5. Mav3067 macrumors member

I would also suggest that if you are buying an external your biggest bang for your buck would be to go with a 2 or even 3 tb drive.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Transfer speed is also something to consider if you will be routinely moving large amounts of data. You said you have a Macbook, but is it the standard model or the Pro model. A standard Macbook only has USB 2.0, but the Pro models will offer FW.

Edit: For clarification, if you do have a standard Macbook, some of the older models did come with a FW400 port, but the current unibody plastic model does not offer one.