Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silentownage001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
NJ
posted this in the wrong section. if a mod can move it then many thanks. sorry

hey everybody. im new here and do not yet have a mac :( but ill be getting one within the next year. either late 2011 or the 2012 whenever itll be released.

anyway so im looking to get an external hard drive. i found the seagate freeagent go which i like. 320gb should be fine.

my question is, if i back everything up on it with it set to windows, will i have to delete everything to format it for os x? or will it be fine?

Edit: i realized both hard drives use usb 2.0 so after looking on the seagate website i think this will be a much better choice but id like opinions on how well it works with a MBP as thats what ill buy.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/portable-hard-drive

the options are blue, usb 3.0, 500 gb and 14.5mm.

or would this drive be better?

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/slim-hard-drive/

opinions? suggestions?

Last edited:

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
The explanation of your situation is not very clear, but it sounds like you want to back up your Windows files and then restore them when you get a Mac.

For best results you should format whatever external drive you get as NTFS, then when you get a Mac download something like MacFUSE or NTFS-3G so you can write to the drive. It shouldn't be any issue to transfer the files to your Mac.

All platter-based hard drives are the same; pick the one that fits your storage needs and budget and get the one with the best warranty.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
MacFUSE or NTFS-3G

A couple things: MacFUSE has been unmaintained for over 2 years and is showing incompatibilities with Lion, so look at OSXFUSE instead. NTFS-3G REQUIRES FUSE, so you can't have it without FUSE installed. NTFS-3G is also having issues with Lion, and we don't know if it will be updated to work. It gives an error message, but usually also works anyway.

silentownage001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
NJ
A couple things: MacFUSE has been unmaintained for over 2 years and is showing incompatibilities with Lion, so look at OSXFUSE instead. NTFS-3G REQUIRES FUSE, so you can't have it without FUSE installed. NTFS-3G is also having issues with Lion, and we don't know if it will be updated to work. It gives an error message, but usually also works anyway.

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.