External Hard drive question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tacomahunter, Oct 27, 2007.

1. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

So do you all have your external drives connected to you laptop all the time? I switched to a laptop so that I did not have all the wires. If you don't when are you connecting? I am waiting for my Leopard disc to arrive (hopefully today?) I am investing in a external drive and was just wondering. Thanks!

2. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

Hi,
    I remember seeing a similar thread here somewhere if you are looking for more info.
    in my case I have two external drives connected all the time (at home, macbook) without any trouble so far. as for the wires I recommend buying a USB hub (maybe even 7 ports)...I have all my usb devices connected to a 7 port dr. bott hub and just plug in the hub so that's probably the easiest solution.

3. DaveSM macrumors member

It might seem silly but my MBP is connected to three external hard drives when I'm at home. I got the first one (160gb) before university (about three years ago) because I was getting a laptop whitout a huge internal HD. I got the second one (160gb USB powered) a few months ago while I was in the Netherlands because I hadn't my big one with me. Finally a few weeks ago I got a big one(500gb) for Leopard that is already formated in HFS+ and that I use with SuperDuper for backup until I install Leopard. I also have a small pocket hd (5gb) that I carry on my bag.

In the beginning, I feared that Leopard would have troubles with external HD that are not connected all the time but it doesn't seem to be a problem. As I often bring my laptop with me (isn't it the main porpose of a laptop? ;) ) I wanted something that would still work when I plug back the external HD.

4. 2fives macrumors regular

I just keep my original 120 gig connected through a USB port, but a couple 500's connect to my airport extreme so I can leech from them from any of my 3 comps.