External hard drive question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. Eko, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Mr. Eko macrumors member

Before posting I would like to say that I am a complete noob with external hard Drives. I do not know anything about them. Sorry for my ignorance.

I was wanting to put all of my music/videos/pics on one to transfer to future ipods/mac. I was wondering if I get one, can I put files on it from a PC and then put them on a mac? How do they work?

2. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Yes...

Yes, you actually can. What i like to do is partition my HDD into 2 separate sections. 1 named general use, and 1 for time machine. The one for general use is about 3GB, and the one for Time machine is about 110GB, and the one for general use can be viewed in windows or mac, the one for time machine can only be viewed on a mac.

Really easy using disk utility.

--EDIT--

Yeah, i kinda forgot to add that :p sorry.

3. jeff3221 macrumors regular

He left out that for the general use for macs and pcs, you have to format to MS- DOS (FAT 32) and for time machine MAC OS EXTENDED (journal) using disk utility.

4. kwfl macrumors 6502

if you want to view the mac extended jurnal drive on windows, install a software called macdrive in windows and it will show it for your.

5. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Well, yeah, but I usually just use my drive for school and my back-ups, if someone in school finds it, and plug it in, they aren't going to want to use it if it only has 3GB, plus, i doubt many people would know how to "see" the other partition.

6. Mr. Eko thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'm just looking for something to hold roughly 95 gb of music and movies. I want to have it available for future usage. Any recommendations on a brand?

EDIT: I found this one on Amazon for $93.00, would this be a good one?

Western Digital 160GB 2.5-inch Passport USB Portable Hard Drive

7. Mr. Eko thread starter macrumors member

PS: The only time I will use windows on it will be to put files from 3 PC's and put them ona mac. I want be putting anything on a PC.

8. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

Someone else can probably confirm this, but I think that if you hook it up to the PC drives first to get the files off, the Mac won't care. Going from Mac to PC is where you're more likely to run into trouble.

As for that drive, it'll definitely work, but before you buy, consider how much space you need right now and leave yourself plenty of room to grow. I go for at least double my current storage needs. Memory's cheap, and by the time you eventually max out that drive, it'll be even cheaper.

A USB drive will be OK for just storage, but if you're looking for better transfer speeds or need to move files back and forth often (e.g., if you're keeping your iTunes library on it), get a 7200RPM drive with Firewire and/or Firewire 800.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You're wasting money if you go with a Passport unless you're really thinking about taking it everywhere.

Just looking at BestBuy.com, I found plenty of better options. Namely, 750GB of storage for $170. I have two of these (the 500GB models) and they work fine. The only problem I have had involves trying to use both on an AEBS. If you hook it straight up, no problem.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8475731&type=product&id=1185268652010

10. Mr. Eko thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, but when you say I will be wasting time by getting the passport, what do you mean? I'm just looking for a cheap one, but if that's so bad I won't get it. 750 is way too much for me, I'm looking for around 150-200 i guess, since it's better to have double the size.

11. nfg315 macrumors regular

nfg315

i wouldnt say its better to have double the size, that's just a minimum suggestion...its probably best to get as much as possible, but avoid getting the highest (ie terabyte) as the tech is newer and thus more expensive

the 2.5 inch drives are usually usb powered, so they will be slower and bit more expensive, but on the plus side smaller, quieter, and much more portable. the 3.5 inch drives will be larger, faster, and most likely louder and A/C powered, so much less portable

it's your call, you can get a 320GB 2.5" new for like $150, or a 500GB 3.5" for like $120, so you are paying for the portability factor, it really depends on how much you plan on traveling with the drive

12. jeff3221 macrumors regular

I got a Seagate 250 GB 3.5" that isn't portable a few months ago at best buy for $80, and it been fine with me. Mine is usb and I see no speed problem.

13. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt