External Hard Drive Question!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlackiBook, Aug 5, 2009.

1. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

I posted this in a thread that was already started but was also already a dead thread so this is attempt number two!

Okay so I have multiple computers that all need to be backed up! The macbook that I bought for my girlfriend last year suffered a major hit, the hard drive crashed and she lost all of her information. Now I am worried!! I have the computers listed in my signature and a Lenovo s10e netbook that I would like to back up on the same external hard drive. I don't plan on doing anything but backing them up once every week or two...

First question is what external hard drive should I get to be able to back-up four macs and a windows machine? (I would like to have a desktop external, not portable)

Second question is when I get the drive should I separate the drive into multiple section or what? Any help would be much appreciated!!

2. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I would get 2 western digital 1TB drives and back up 2 macs to each and choose either one for the windows machine.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

What kind of router do you have right now? Does the router have a USB-port for connecting an external hard drive? How are the computers connected to the network, or are they even networked at all? Any NAS will be dreadfully slow over 802.11B, slow over 802.11G, and acceptable at 802.11N. Cat 5 is preferable, but not required.

Your situation sounds like an ideal case for a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. The ideal solution would be a server, such as one from HP. HP sells mini home servers for backups starting at $300, which can be tied-in to an existing network through an ethernet connection. There are plenty of other NAS servers and routers that function as such on the market; that was just the first one to pop into my mind.

If your router has a USB port, you could opt for a USB external hard drive instead, which will work fine, although at much slower speeds. With that many computers to back-up, I wouldn't really recommend just connecting a hard drive directly to each individual computer, or multiple hard drives which would end up costing more than NAS anyway.

4. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Thanks a bunch!! That is the kinda of information I was needing!

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What's been posted above is right on.

After Taking Part in Numerous Threads and Purchasing Numerous Drives after Research, I have come to a couple of suggestions and a massive "guide."

Or you could be OCD, anal and paranoid like me and have two back-up drives...

Other User's Recommendation's: username (Specific Model w/ Amazon link if available) note: assume positive, unless otherwise noted. If your opinions change or would like to be added, PM me.
    Build Your Own: uberamd, kufford, SaSaSushi, nanofrog, Ti_Poussin, DoFoT9
    Drobo: gatepc recommends it, further mixed discussion here.
    EZQuest: LizKat has owned a variety of Monsoons
    G-Tech: RebornKillah recommends the G-Drive Quad 500GB, but it's currently out of production; Digital Skunk notes the great warranty; jaysmith & Eddyisgreat recommend G-Tech
    Hitachi: Trag (SimpleTech Signature Mini 500GB); Thedesolateone also recommends Hitachi.
    Iomega: mc3s (Ultramax 34495 1.5 TB); Justin Lee (eGo 500GB Portable Mac).
    ioSafe: Tterb recommends.
    LaCie: Note: there is an entire thread dedicated to LaCie, I have summed up support from users below, but simply a tally
    jrotunda85, (d2 Quadra 1 TB); RedTomato, gatepc & eVolcre, {although eVolcre owns the one with eSata and Firewire 400}(Hard Disk, Design by Neil Poulton 1 TB); iGary (LaCie Rugged); Gymnut (F.A. Porsche, out of production); VanMac (BigDiskExtreme, out of production); Digital Skunk (2Big Triple, out of production)
    Users expressing general support: cmcbridejr, dpaanlka, LethalWolfe, mpsrig, UltraNeo*, iPhoneNYC, chocolate632, Hellhammer, romanaz
    Users not so happy with LaCie: surfmadison (not a big fan), accacc57, dave12345 (Little Disk), jaysmith, Jerkfish, auero, mperkins37, dfs, DoFoT9 & jessica.
    Maxtor: adamvk purchased a OneTouch 4 1TB (not sure what version)
    Seagate: steeler (FreeAgent Desk 1.5 TB); MacMini2009, rick3000 (Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1 TB USB Mac); Acid303 does not recommend the (new) Seagate FreeAgent Desk series
    SimpleTech: J&JPolangin (SimpleTech 2TB SimpleDrive Pro Duo); BlizzardBomb recommends the Go; suekitch recommends Seagate because of its warranty
    Western Digital: MacMini2009, xpress1 & MacDawg (MyBook Studio 1TB); Thiol notes purchasing an incredible seven Western Digital MyBook Studio drives all working flawlessly; Acid303 also notes a positive experience with a non-Studio Edition Western Digital drive; terp2007 & matthewscott661 recommend the Passport Series; munkees notes a failure with one of the drives purchased, but a positive experience overall; rikdiddy, RebornKillah & Jerkfish also recommend Western Digital. chrono1081 does not recommend Western Digital & romanaz was also not happy.

Other Threads:

1TB is prbly a good size to start at it, I would say most people looking for non-mobile externals start at that size, here is a (not-so) recent thread about that...
    More literature found here.
    Here, is another thread on 1TB Hard Drives
    This one is about LaCie...
    Here is another, there is some more discussion about LaCie in there...
    Here is one on USB 1TB, I'd stick to Firewire...
    And if all else fails, MRoogle

6. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

7. joaoferro37 macrumors 6502

joaoferro37

There is another solution that has built-in RAID 5 with quad interface.
    Which means, for future upgrade of your computer, you can still use the same gear.
    It is called stardom deckraid dr4, review is on the barefeats.com
    http://www.barefeats.com/hard122.html
    As long as each partition is less than 2.2TB, you should be able to initialize as a dos format and use it for both Mac and PC.
    oh, OWC is selling it
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Raidon/DR4WBS2/

8. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

The set up I currently have is an Airport Extreme hooked up via USB to a 1 TB MyBook Mirror Edition. The router is connected wirelessly to an iMac and MacBook Pro, and wired to my PowerMac. All of them are able to back up automatically via Time Machine.

Maybe it's an example you could work off of?:eek:

9. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Would it have to be an airport extreme for it to use time machine? I have a wireless network already and I would hate to have to buy a new hard drive and a new router!

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

add me to that list :p

and make sure im not on a LaCie one - they suck! :D

11. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

I have built my own before just a long time ago and I never actually did anything with it (this was back in my PC days)...

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have g-tech drives because the enclosures are good looking, and I was able to get them cheaper than I would be if I were to build a quad/triple interface enclosure and outfit them with bare drives.

13. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Go with seagate. I love the little Go drives. They'd be perfect for backup instead of a big bulky desktop drive.

Whatever you do, though, avoid Western Digital my books like the plague. Those things go to sleep after five minutes. If they're attached, you'll keep getting the spinning beach ball b/c of those stupid things. You're constantly waiting for them to wake up.

14. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i can also vouch for this! cheap + working, thats all i care about.

my only gripe is that its USB only, WAY to slow for my needs.. but it works so yup, nice.

16. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

See I was thinking maybe getting one with firewire to take care of that problem, but another arises! I have one computer with firewire 800 and two with firewire 400, oh and the netbook I could really care less about... I dont ever use the d**n thing!

So this is where I stand right now... its between the WD or the Seagate, that is if I cant find a nice Firewire Hard Drive!

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats why you get a HD with FW800, then buy a cheap (maybe $5->$10) FW400 adaptor :) solved!

or even a cable like this (bit more expensive)
    [​IMG]