External Hard Drive Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Roosterfosho, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Roosterfosho macrumors member

Hello all I have a few questions about external hard drives. First, I just got a portable one that works great, however, I was wondering if there is one that I can hook up to my wifi network so I can use it while I'm on the go. (Not sure if this is possible, but I thought it would be a cool feature so I wouldn't have to carry around the hard drive with me) I just bought a portable 1 TB Western Digital one. I just see that I can get a non portable one for the same prices with 1.5 TB or 2 TB. If you guys know if any that allow this for around $100 and could point me in the right direction that would be great.
    Thanks for looking.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

They're out there. I don't know the models or manufacturers off the top of my head, but I read about one a few months ago. Might have been Seagate. Not sure. Google it. Check Newegg.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I believe that the Pogoplug used in conjunction with a hard drive will do what you want.

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Hook it up to your home wi-fi? Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by hooking it up to your wi-fi network.
    Also, what is your definition of portable here? Do you mean USB/FW-powered or battery-powered wireless externals?

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i like that :D i have the WD world edition but it requires a subscription for the software. the pogoplug is a one time fee it looks like. There are other options but for everything i have seen i like the pogoplug the best. most of the others require a subscription. if you happen to have mobileme you can use back to my mac with an airport extreme.

6. mary09 macrumors newbie

please help!

I just got a western digital 1TB external harddrive for my mac. I'm new to the external hard drive and time machine thing. I've been using it for time machine to back up. I was wondering what happens if I unplug from the usb and then plug it back in when I need it. Is this bad for my external hard drive?

is it bad to put time machine off on my computer? I just don't like it cramming my external hard drive with time machine stuff.

thanks for your help!

7. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I use one of these and it's simply outstanding. I have not found a single downside yet. Up-time is great and it's fast and reliable.