External hard drive questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pmcmvp, Aug 15, 2009.

1. pmcmvp macrumors member

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding external hard drives which I hope someone can help answer. =P

i.) I have a 160G external harddrive (IOGEAR) that is fomatted to FAT32. Clicking on Get Info states its been formatted to FAT32. I have files that are over 4G on the drive and BOTH my PC and MAC can use these files. On my mac I dont have any 3rd party software (ie. Macfuse/NTFS-3G).

How is this possible? I wonder because I want to setup my new external harddrive to do the same (if possible)

ii.) If I setup a new external harddrive to be mac formatted and have my itunes library on it, can PC running itunes read from it?

iii.) If i wanted to format a new external harddrive to be NTFS and have my macs have Macfuse to be able to read/write to it, how would I format to NTFS? In Disk Utility, there is no option for it, only MS-DOS (FAT32)

Thanks in advance

2. pmcmvp thread starter macrumors member

sorry one more question

iv) i bought a simpletech external harddrive and notice the disk is spinning all the time even in idle. Do most other external harddrives the same?

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Is it too obvious to suggest using the PC to do it?

Don't know about 'most' but a HD is a dumb bit of equipment, so unless the driver spins it down after a while there is no reason for it to 'sleep'. I have a Buffalo which spins down on PC as there is a Windows add on that manages this, but it runs continuously on Mac as there is no equivalent add on.

4. dhd macrumors member

dhd

I dunno about the +4GB files, I always heard that you can't use files that big on FAT32, regarding the spinning disks you go to System Prefs>Energy Saver, check the option of "put the hard disks to sleep when possible", so that the systems stops them when not in use.

The option to format in NFTS appears in Disk Utility after the installation of MacFuse/Nfts-3g.

Hope it helps

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm pretty sure my Seagate FreeAgent Go extern spins down when not in use. I don't feel it vibrating when I put my hand on it anyway, and it cools down considerably.

6. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

That doesn't always work. I have that option selected on my imac. I have a Maxtor external which will spin down when the computer sleeps or when I'm not accessing it. However, I have a Lacie hooked up to the same computer and it spins all the time, no matter if the computer is on, off, or asleep. I have to turn that drive off with the power button all the time.

7. pmcmvp thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the answers so far.

Does anyone know about question 2 regarding itunes?

thanks

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If the PC can read the drive, so can iTunes. Just because iTunes is an Apple product doesn't mean that it can read Mac drives that Windows cannot.

You'll have to install additional drivers on your Windows system before iTunes will be able to read it.

9. Nickm4N macrumors member

Do you need both Macfuse and nfts-3G for it to work when formatted to NFTS? Or just one of them?

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Both. MacFuse is the framework within which NTFS-3G is developed.

11. Nickm4N macrumors member

I see, thanks :)